Fears of a third Intifada as Palestinian deaths reach 7-year high
Jenin and Ramallah, West Bank (CNN) In the early hours of September 6, Mohammed Sabaaneh, 29, was live on TikTok, filming clashes between Israeli forces and Palestinians in the West Bank town of Jenin .
The West Bank, which has been under Israeli military occupation since 1967, is simmering.
Between the near-nightly Israeli raids, the clashes, the ensuing deaths, arrests and a political vacuum under an increasingly unpopular Palestinian Authority, there are fears it could soon boil over into a third Intifada, or uprising.
Israeli officials say they have stepped up the military operations because the Palestinian Security Services aren't doing enough, and say they've prevented more than 300 attacks as a result.
"We demand that the Palestinian Authority not only speak out against terrorism, but also act against it.
The spread of weapons and lack of governance are harming both the Palestinian people and the Palestinian Authority itself," Israel's Defense Minister Benny Gantz said earlier this month in a statement.
The Palestinian Authority didn't respond to CNN's request for comment.
He accused Israel of trying to "destroy the Palestinian Authority and undermine its institutions."
Israel and the Palestinian Authority cooperate on security matters under the terms of the Oslo Accords, from which the Palestinian Authority was formed in 1994.
Palestinians who oppose this cooperation say that the Palestinian Authority is enforcing the Israeli occupation of the West Bank by cracking down on Palestinians.
And that is, of course, a dangerous situation for which not only the Palestinian Authority is responsible, but mainly it is Israel that is responsible for creating this situation."
"The only one that bears responsibility for the situation is the [Israeli] occupation, and not the Palestinian Authority," he said.